When a movie becomes a box office hit, the natural next step is to create a sequel/prequel. However, for one reason or another, not all planned sequels/prequels come to fruition. Here is a list of ten films which planned a sequel/prequel and have not yet delivered.
10. Airplane III (Preceded by Airplane and Airplane II: The Sequel) – Though it was probably more of a joke, a teaser trailer appears at the end of Airplane II which says, “Coming from Paramount Pictures: Airplane III“.
9. Street Fighter II (Preceded by Street Fighter) – At the end of the film, after the credits, Bison’s fist emerges from the debris, with the computer screen saying, “World Domination: Replay”. Unfortunately, a sequel would never be made as the man who played Bison, Raul Julia, died shortly after this film was released.
8. Grayskull: Masters of the Universe (Preceded by Masters of the Universe) – During the credits, Skeletor pops out of the liquid exclaiming that he’d be back. This movie might still see the light of day as it seems that John Stevenson will be the director.
7. Lethal Weapon 5 (Preceded by Lethal Weapon 4) – Apparently, Warner Brothers is in the early stages of making another Lethal Weapon film. However, both Mel Gibson and Danny Glover are not interested at the moment.
6. Shanghai Dawn (Preceded by Shanghai Knights) – A third movie was planned in this series, but for whatever reason, plans have been halted and there seems to be no plans to make this film anytime soon.
5. Jurassic Park 4 (Preceded by Jurassic Park III) – One source said that this fourth film would take the franchise in another direction. Another one said that Steven Spielberg had plans to make a 3D film.
4. Independence Day 2 (Preceded by Independence Day) – At first, there were plans to make a sequel because of 9/11. Then, those plans were nixed as they couldn’t decide how to continue the story. Now, not only do they want to make a sequel, but they want a trilogy.
3. True Lies 2 (Preceded by True Lies) – At one point, there were plans to make a sequel, but those plans were nixed as a result of 9/11. While James Cameron wants to work with Arnold Schwarzenegger once he gets out of office, it would be on a new project as he has no plans on making a sequel.
2. Roger Rabbit: The Toon Platoon (Preceded by Who Framed Roger Rabbit) – A prequel was planned where Roger Rabbit is reunited with has father, Bugs Bunny. Apparently, director Robert Zemeckis is still interested in making it.
1. Batman: Triumphant (Preceded by Batman and Robin) – The original plan was to create a fifth Batman film, which would have been released in 1999. Batman and Robin would have fought against the Scarecrow, a resurrected Joker, and the Joker’s daughter, Harley Quinn. Unfortunately, since Batman and Robin stunk so badly, this movie was cancelled.