This is a follow up to a comment I made earlier,
it’s basically a list of who I think are the leading directors today.
1. Clint Eastwood– for Invictus, Gran Torino, Letters from Iwo Jima & Flags of our Father, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, The Bridges of Madison County and Changeling(I was astounded by this movie, I know opinion is split)
2. Martin Scorsese– for The Departed, The Aviator, Casino, Age of Innocence, Goodfellas, Gangs of New York and the docu Shine a Light
3. Christopher Nolan– for Dark Knight, Batman Begins, The Prestige, Insomnia, Memento
4. Quentin Tarantino– for Inglourious Basterds, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill and Death Proof
5. Danny Boyle– for Slumdog Millionaire, Trainspotting, Millions, 28 days later & 28 weeks later.
I was going for a director with at least 5 films that I could personally recommend to anyone to watch. These films I feel have shown these directors abilities to churn out cinematic masterpieces.
I’d keep an eye on Christopher Nolan. He seems to getting gold with everything he touches. If you can get your hands on a copy of Following, watch it. He has all the makings of a master storyteller. Can’t wait for Inception.
About James Cameron,
Now I’m yet to watch Avator (sucks to be where I am) but the hype sounds pretty good, which is making me check my expectations. Titanic was phenomenal, as was Terminator 2 but the last 20 years have seen few directorial attempts from the guy. 5 script based movies in a 20 year period and one was a miss. True Lies didn’t cut it for me.