Here is my list of the best films of the decade:
10. Notorious (2009) – His mother knew him as Christopher Wallace, but the world knew him as The Notorious B.I.G./Biggie Smalls, a man that truly was, ‘larger than life’. The sky was the limit. Unfortunately, one night in Los Angeles + one unknown shooter = a twenty four year old rapper who was taken from us way to soon.
9. Rocky Balboa (2006) – Thirty years after Rocky & sixteen years after the forgettable Rocky V comes the sixth & final installment of this saga. This time, the former two-time heavyweight champion of the world, “The Italian Stallion” Rocky Balboa, steps into the ring one more time to take on the current champion, Mason “The Line” Dixon.
8. Changeling (2008) – After her son disappears, the boy who is returned to his mother turns out not to be her son. As a result, the mother goes on a quest to not only search for the truth regarding her missing son, but also to battle against police corruption & confront the man who might have killed her son.
7. The Incredible Hulk (2008) – Upon being exposed to an experiment gone wrong, Doctor Bruce Banner changes into the Incredible Hulk. As the military tries to stop him, one of their men, Emil Blonsky, finds out about the experiment & wants to be subjected with it as well, this leads to him becoming the Abomination fighting against the Incredible Hulk.
6. Super Size Me (2004) – Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock decides to go on a McDonald’s diet. For thirty days, he can eat nothing but McDonald’s food for breakfast, lunch, & dinner. As a result, he quickly discovers his cholesterol & weight going up, which makes you think twice about wanting to eat from McDonald’s next time.
5. Metallica: Some Kind of Monster (2004) – What was supposed to be a making of turned into the filming of the breakdown of the biggest band in the world. After their bassist, Jason Newsted, quit the band, & their lead singer, James Hetfield, checked into rehab, the status of Metallica was on life support. Thanks to therapy, Metallica was ‘resurrected’.
4. The Dark Knight (2008) – In the sequel to the 2005 film Batman Begins, the caped crusader takes on the Joker. Christian Bale gives a fantastic performance as Bruce Wayne/Batman. Unfortunately, this film will be remembered for the untimely death of the man who played the Joker, Heath Ledger.
3. Winged Migration (2001) – During a process of four years, the filmmakers followed birds as they migrated through all seven continents. The shots they managed to get just by following these birds are nothing short of extraordinary. It’s hard to believe that every shot is real, which means they used no CGI & no fake birds.
2. Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005) – Riding high on their success, Enron was once one of the biggest companies in the world. Unfortunately, once word spread how they were manipulating the books, it was over for Kenneth Lay & Jeffrey Skilling as Enron had went from a huge enterprise to being forced to file bankruptcy.
And the #1 best film of the decade is:
1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) – Following the success of Being John Malkovich, writer Charlie Kaufman brings us another masterpiece about what goes on inside the brain. This time, Joel Barish goes to a Doctor to erase memories of his ex-girlfriend, Clementine. However, during the process, he changes his mind.